The MTA is set to get $3.9 billion in grant money from the federal government to deal with the coronavirus crisis, but the agency has already said they need more.
The Trump administration agreed Friday to release the funds, which had already been approved as part of the original coronavirus stimulus package passed by Congress in March.
The $3.9 billon grant is the largest single grant awarded in the Federal Transit Administration's history.
Ridership on mass transit has plummeted during the outbreak, and officials have said they need a huge cash infusion to keep operating at full capacity.
The agency is also cleaning and disinfecting every subway car each night, which has increased costs.
MTA officials have already requested another $3.9 billion from the federal government to deal with the loss in revenue.