Gov. Kathy Hochul signed legislation Wednesday that aims to crack down on telemarketers by nearly doubling the fine for telemarketers violating the Do Not Call Registry, the governor's office announced.
The legislation amends the general business law to raise the maximum fine for violators of the Do Not Call Registry from the current $11,000 penalty set in 2004 to $20,000.
A law signed in December 2022 required telemarketers give customers the option to be added to the company's do-not-call list at the outset of certain telemarketing calls.
“Every day, hard-working New Yorkers are forced to field call after call from relentless telemarketers," Hochul said in a statement. “Today, we’re raising the penalty for violators of the Do Not Call Registry to deter telemarketers, protect New Yorkers, and send a clear message that New York won’t tolerate these frustrating, unsolicited calls.”
“I am pleased that the governor has signed this bill into law and thank Assemblyman Bores for his efforts to address this issue," state Sen. Joseph Griffo said in a statement. "It is my hope that this legislation will provide some much-needed relief to New Yorkers who are sick and tired of receiving bothersome, inconvenient and troublesome calls every day.”
Luke Parsnow - New York State Politics Digital Content Producer
Luke Parsnow is the New York state politics digital content writer and producer at Spectrum News 1. He is an award-winning writer and political columnist and previously worked for CNYCentral in Syracuse and The Post-Star in Glens Falls, New York.