Tuesday's snow caused suspensions and delays on mass transit, even though it was not the blockbuster storm that forecasters had predicted. NY1's Matt McClure filed the following report.

For those who dared, snow, slush, and ice made travel Tuesday complicated.

City schools and most businesses were closed for the day, creating ghost stations.

The MTA's decision to suspend service on the elevated lines — cutting off parts of Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx — created travel headaches.

"Today, I woke up, checked the trains, and nothing was running past Bergen St.," Williamsburg resident Sophia Chen said.

Chen, who works at a neighborhood coffee shop, says her commute from Williamsburg usually takes just 20 minutes.

That was not the case Tuesday, because F and G service was halted. She took a car service.

But her commute was a breeze compared to Coney Island resident Vitaliy Shitiko, who was heading to Red Hook from Windsor Terrace in Brooklyn.

McClure: What are you going to do since the subways are shut down?

Shitiko: Right now, I think the 61 should still be running. If the buses are shut, then that's about it.

McClure: What would you do if that's the case, if the buses shut down too?

Shitiko: Well, it's not that big of a walk, but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Luckily for him, buses were still running — but with delays.

"I don't have any time off. I have to get to work right away," one woman said in Midtown. "I'm from upstate New York, from Woodstock, and yeah, I'm used to it. I grew up skiing, so for me it's a pleasure to be out in the snow."

For those traveling only underground, the storm proved to be not much of a problem, as service largely continued uninterrupted.

"The E train waits at World Trade [Center], so it wasn't too bad," one woman said at the 14 St. station. "Just the wind and the tiny pieces of snow were the worst part."

"The ice and the slipperiness — it's actually really dangerous. You have to hold onto the railing," another straphanger said. "It's kind of important not to break a hip or a leg or anything."

Officials defended the MTA's decision to suspend above-ground rail service.

"I think it was the right call on the above-ground subways, because the challenge always is if the subways stay out too long under the wrong conditions, those trains can get stuck out on the overhead tracks, and that's not good for anyone," Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

Fortunately, the storm did not live up to the hype.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered above-ground subway service restored at 6 p.m.