Mayor Eric Adams, in his first extended interview regarding Thursday’s FBI raid into the home of his chief fundraiser, 25-year-old Brianna Suggs, said she would stay on his re-election campaign.
He also said he has not been contacted about any investigation.
“This is new and evolving and we’re going to comply 100%,” Adams said on PIX 11 News Friday. “I have not been contacted by any law enforcement agency and no law enforcement agency has determined that anyone associated with our campaign did anything wrong.”
What You Need To Know
- Mayor Eric Adams said his chief fundraiser, 25-year-old Brianna Suggs, whose home was raided by the FBI Thursday, would stay on his re-election campaign
- "I have not been contacted by any law enforcement agency," Adams said
- Multiple reports say the raid was part of a public correction investigation into whether his campaign conspired with a Brooklyn construction company and the Turkish government to funnel foreign money into the campaign
Multiple reports say the raid was part of a public correction investigation into whether his campaign conspired with a Brooklyn construction company and the Turkish government to funnel foreign money into the campaign.
Adams gave a full defense of Suggs, who started as a 19-year-old intern in Brooklyn Borough Hall, then an aide. Then, at 21 years old, she was leading the fundraising efforts of a seasoned politician like Adams.
“She has done an amazing job and she will stay with the campaign team,” Adams said.
Public campaign records show more than $150,000 in payments from Adams 2021 and re-election campaigns to Suggs’ firm — Suggs Solutions LLC — for consulting and fundraising.
Her work also appears in other parts of Adams’ orbit.
The Striving for a Better New York political action committee that backs Adams’ agenda paid Suggs’ firm $100,000 for consulting and fundraising, according to state records.
NY1 was unable to reach the PAC’s chairman, Alfred Cockfield, for comment.
Suggs also registered as a lobbyist — a company called 99 Solutions LLC agreed to pay Suggs’ firm $1,500 a month between August and December of last year to lobby the Adams administration for a Chinatown mall.
A spokesman for Suggs said she only got $1,500 and ultimately did not speak to any city official about the mall.
There were no answers to the phone numbers listed on the lobbying records.
Basil Smikle, a former director of the State Democratic Party, said the mayor has to convince voters that he continues to focus on the migrant influx, the economy and crime.
“He’s also got to hope that this doesn’t get well beyond his fundraiser and this raid,” Smikle, director of the public policy program at Hunter College, said. “I think the longer this story lingers, the more opening there becomes for somebody to want to challenge him.”
Meanwhile, a person who answered the phone at the Brooklyn construction company reportedly tied to the probe — KSK Construction, whose employees contributed $12,700 to Adams’ campaign — declined to comment.
In a statement Friday, Adams said:
“I am outraged and angry if anyone attempted to use the campaign to manipulate our democracy and defraud our campaign. I want to be clear, I have no knowledge, direct or otherwise, of any improper fundraising activity — and certainly not of any foreign money. We will, of course, work with officials to respond to inquiries, as appropriate — as we always have.”
The mayor’s 2021 campaign counsel, Vito Pitta, said: “Immediately upon learning about the federal inquiry, the campaign started an extensive review of all documents and actions by campaign workers connected to the contributors in question.”