SAN ANTONIO — In Bexar County, officers have arrested a Catholic priest on allegations of sexual assault. George Mbugua Ndungu, or Father Wanjuri, was assigned to several San Antonio-area parishes since 2017, and police think there could be more victims.
The Archdiocese of San Antonio gave a timeline of where Ndungu served in ministry. “During his time in the archdiocese, Father Wanjiru ministered at Our Lady of Good Counsel, St. Martin de Porres, and St. Gabriel parishes in San Antonio, all in 2017. In 2018, he served at St. Ann in La Vernia and St. Mary’s in Stockdale. In 2019, Father Wanjiru ministered at St. Peter and Paul Parish in New Braunfels, and in 2020 was assigned to St. Thomas the Apostle Church in Canyon Lake. Lastly, from 2021 to 2023, he served at St. Rose of Lima Church in San Antonio.”
It was at St. Rose of Lima Church that the latest complaints were made against Ndungu.
Ndungu, a Kenya native, was privately investigated by a detective who was brought on by the Archdiocese of San Antonio, as they had suspicions. They ended up reporting him to the police. Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said Ndungu was charged with aggravated sexual assault on Tuesday.
According to Salazar, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Department became interested in Ndungu in August, when an employee of the church said he was sexually inappropriate toward her. After word got out about this incident, others were asked to share their encounter with him, and earlier this month an older woman came forward.
Police said Ndungu sexually assaulted a female parishioner who is in her 70s three times on separate occasions.
“He very much groomed this victim, gained her confidence,” Salazar said. “He saw an opportunity and, like a predator will tend to do, he took full advantage of that. He weaseled his way into her home and sexually assaulted her on several different occasions.”
The first assault occurred in November 2022, according to an arrest affidavit.
Salazar thinks it’s highly likely that there are other victims. And he believes that if any other similar reports come in, the Archdiocese of San Antonio will do the right thing.
An Archdiocesan statement reads, “The Archdiocese of San Antonio takes seriously any allegation of sexual misconduct. The safety and well-being of all people are very important, and the church’s safe-environment policies seek to protect everyone, most especially children and vulnerable adults. We encourage anyone who is a victim of sexual abuse to contact law enforcement.”
Officials said a law statute negates any sexual consent that may have been given between a clergy person and their congregation. So, even if that action was consensual, that doesn’t matter because of the power imbalance and likelihood of coercion.
Salazar said that no one should feel ashamed about what happened. He wants victims to find the courage to speak out.
“We would certainly urge anybody that’s had any inappropriate dealings with this suspect to please give us a call. The number is (210) 335-6000” said Salazar.
Watch the full news conference below: