WASHINGTON — White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt confirmed Tuesday the fourth U.S. Army soldier who went missing last week during a training exercise in Lithuania was found dead. The Army on Monday had confirmed the deaths of three of the four missing soldiers, saying they were found in their armoed vehicle that was pulled from a swampy area early that morning.
"Tragically, three soldiers were found deceased in Lithuania yesterday, and it pains me to confirm that today the fourth soldier was also found deceased," Leavitt said at the White House press briefing. "The president, the secretary of defense and the entire White House are praying for the victims' friends and family during this unimaginable time. This is another stark reminder of the selfless sacrifice of our brave military men and women who risk their lives around the world every day to keep us safe. God bless them."
What You Need To Know
- The White House confirmed on Tuesday the fourth U.S. Army soldier who went missing last week during a training exercise in Lithuania was found dead
- The Army said on Monday that three of the four soldiers missing after a training exercise were found dead in an armored vehicle pulled from a swamp
- The bodies were recovered after a massive seven-day effort by U.S., Polish and Lithuanian armed forces and authorities to dig the M88 Hercules vehicle out of a peat bog at the expansive General Silvestras Žukauskas training ground
- The Army says the soldiers were on a tactical training exercise when they and their vehicle were reported missing early on March 25
On Monday in the Oval Office, President Donald Trump said "three are no longer with us and one is unfortunately probably in the same category, but they haven't declared that yet."
"It was a very heavy truck, like a toy, but I mean really heavy that lifted the heaviest equipment," Trump said. "And it would seem that the bank of a lake collapsed. You know, the weight is so big. It was at night, and it was very cold weather. Ice, lot of ice. Possibly slipped and the weight is so enormous of this thing. It's a massively heavy vehicle."
The bodies of the soldiers were recovered after a massive seven-day effort by U.S., Polish and Lithuanian armed forces and authorities to dig the M88 Hercules vehicle out of a peat bog at the expansive General Silvestras Žukauskas training ground in the town of Pabradė.
"I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen Soldiers. Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense," Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth wrote on social media. "We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers — and our prayers are with their families."
The soldiers were on a tactical training exercise when they and their vehicle were reported missing early on March 25, the Army said.
The command in a statement on Monday said the identities of the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division soldiers are being withheld pending family notifications.
"We stand in grief with the families and loved ones of these extraordinary 'Dogface Soldiers' during this unimaginable time," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, 3rd Infantry Division commander. "But the search isn't finished until everyone is home. Words cannot express our gratitude to those still working around the clock during these extensive search and recovery efforts and your unwavering commitment not to rest until all are found."
Hundreds of Lithuanian and U.S. soldiers and rescuers took part in the search through the thick forests and swampy terrain around Pabradė, just 6 miles west of the border with Belarus. The armored vehicle was discovered on Wednesday submerged in 15 feet of water.
"We mourn the tragic loss of U.S. soldiers in Lithuania. Our deepest condolences go out to their families and comrades during this difficult time. We honour their service and sacrifice," Lithuania's Ministry of Defense said in a statement on Monday. In a separate statement, Lithuania President Gitanas Nausėda said he was "deeply saddened" by the soldiers deaths and added that "Lithuania has been praying for all four missing soldiers, and now, with all our hearts, we stand with their families."
Lithuanian armed forces provided military helicopters, fixed wing aircraft, unmanned aerial systems and search and rescue personnel. They brought in additional excavators, sluice and slurry pumps, other heavy construction equipment, technical experts and several hundred tons of gravel and earth to help the recovery.
U.S. Navy divers were able to maneuver through thick layers of mud, clay and sediment "with zero visibility" to reach the 63-ton vehicle Sunday evening and find two points to attach steel cables, according to the command.
The command said that during the effort to pull out the vehicle, it began to lose traction, so additional heavy dozers were brought in and attached to provide additional grip. The vehicle was pulled free after about two hours, the command said.
"The armored vehicle was pulled ashore at 4:40 a.m., the towing operation is complete, Lithuanian Military Police and US investigators continue their work," Defense Minister Dovilė Šakalienė said Monday morning in a post on Facebook.
Maj. Gen. Curtis Taylor, commander of Task Force Iron and the 1st Armored Division, thanked the "heroic efforts" of those involved in the search and recovery. The U.S. Army and Lithuanian authorities are investigating what caused the incident.