A Queens family who the New York Immigration Coalition says had their apartment was raided by armed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents last week spoke out Thursday.
“The first thing that came to my mind was that they are going to take me," Jennifer, a woman who the NYIC says had her home raided by ICE, told NY1 through an interpreter.
She captured the scene on her cellphone.
The 33-year-old, whose last name we aren’t identifying for fear of retaliation, spoke to NY1 about what unfolded at 5:30 a.m. on Nov. 13 after her husband left for work.
Terrified under the covers, the family could hear as the ICE agents made it from the front door to the bedroom.
It was there that agents confronted Jennifer, who says she was breastfeeding her infant. She immediately hit record on her phone.
“He said, 'Come here, come here!' I told him, 'Wait, I’m going to move my child.' The baby refused to let go of my chest," she said.
“That's when he gets close to the bed and snatches my phone and throws it off the bed. And that’s when he grabs me by my hair and takes me to the kitchen of my home.," she continued.
In the kitchen, Jennifer was met by her three older children, who range in age from 6 to 13.
She claims that at one point, the agents pointed guns at her kids when the family attempted to record again.
The immigration officials said they were looking for someone and they showed Jennifer a photo of a man.
“They were anxious for me to tell them where they could find him. I told them I don’t know. They were stubborn, that I didn’t want to cooperate, what do you mean I don’t want to cooperate. How am I going to give you information on someone I don’t know?” she said.
Officials with the Department of Homeland Security say they were looking to serve a criminal arrest warrant for Raymundo Gabriel Huerra-Betancourt. The man is Jennifer’s cousin, who has a history of assault, reckless driving and illegal entry.
They say Jennifer’s address is used on Betancourt's legal documents.
In a statement, they rejected claims they had broken into her home.
“Officers approached the residence and knocked on the door for approximately 20 minutes, attempting to gain voluntary cooperation to enter the residence. When no response was received, officers used their training and lawfully entered the home…Officers safely guided her and the children to the kitchen for their safety while they searched for the criminal target," the statement read.
“My life has changed completely," Jennifer said.
Despite not locating their target, the incident has left a lasting impression on the entire family.
“My husband feels guilty because he wasn’t able to defend me. He wasn’t there. He had already gone to work.," Jennifer said.
As for her kids, Jennifer said, “They have a lot of fear. They haven’t gone to school since this happened. They don’t want to separate themselves from me. They say they are going to be with me, and if they come again, they will be there to defend me.”